Sunday, November 25, 2007

Last 3-Miles

My co-worker is a marathon runner. The other day she was telling me that when she runs a marathon, her dad who is also her trainer jumps into the race 3-miles before the finish line. He runs at a faster pace, has her fade out the other runners and fix her eyes on him. Though she is tired and feels like stopping, her goal at that point is not to think about finishing the 26-mile marathon but just to catch up with her dad.

Hebrews 12
1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Though sometimes we may feel tired and fatigued, let us fix our eyes on Jesus. Knowing that if we stop focusing on what is overwhelming and instead fix our eyes on him we can run with perseverance in this race that has been marked out before us.

3 comments:

not2brightGRAM said...

Insightful post, Yvette! And I needed to hear this. Thanks for the reminder to keep my eyes on Jesus, who has finished the race, and now is my Strength to complete mine.

I so often look around at others and get discouraged. Either because they seem so much stronger, or sometimes because they seem to not even care about the race.

II Cor. 10:12 says, "For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise."

Oh, Lord, teach me to be wise!

Jess(ica) said...

Wow, this is really neat... a great reminder to stay focused on the Lord!

Luke Merrill said...

So cool! That is so extremely encouraging... because sometimes I'm just feeling really tired and lost. I'm bummed I missed the carol sing the other night, but I know you understand :) Maybe then next one! Ok, see ya Yvette! Thanks for sharing. God bless!