It was crazy to see that the executives in the city travel by helicopter. The sky is filled with helicopters buzzing from one skyscraper rooftop to another.
It has been very unique for me to be in a country where I do not understand a bit of the language. Communication has been very interesting. I find that if I ask anything oustide of the scope of what product or service they are selling I get confused looks with spew of Mandrin that I completely do not understand.
This is where all of the locals eat. Very unique meal selections.
Something new that I learned is that bamboo is very strong and it is used for many things including scaffolding.
Will post soon. Off to Singapore.....
4 comments:
Crazy about the helicopters! It sounds almost sci-fi.
It is strange to be in a city where no one speaks your language. When you do hear your own language, your ears pick it right up. (There's a spiritual application here!)
Can't wait for your next post... we're praying you have a wonderful, unforgettable visit.
It was great to read this bit about Hong Kong and the execs. I'm in a global business strategy class right now, so we're spending a lot of time discussing different countries and how they do business and the challenges and opportunities it poses to us as Americans if we want to enter into them to do business. I shared what you said about the execs helicopter-hopping all over the city with my classmates; we got a kick out of it. This is probably especially so because we just finished reading an article about the challenges WalMart has had entering into China to start taking up market share -- a WalMart in China is VERY DIFFERENT than a WalMart in America. Of course, I woudn't visit either one; I hate WalMart! :)
Christi,
The Asian economy is growing like crazy. There are advertisements all over Hong Hong about different mega-expos where you can find suppiers on different kinds of goods. And in Singapore... well Singapore is a whole different ballgame. Their market strategy is amazing! Difinitely outpacing America.
Yvette,
I'd love to hear more about what Singapore's doing that's so different. Perhaps in another post . . . or maybe it will make its way to Rebecca's Singapore blog? Thanks for the update!
Post a Comment