Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Monterrey, MX






I went to visit a friend from college this past weekend to Monterrey, MX. Monterrey, is in northeastern Mexico. It is one of the largest cities in Mexico and the nation's chief center of heavy industry. Most of Mexico's iron and steel industry is centered here, and the city also has large copper, lead, zinc, and silver-processing industries. Among its other manufactures are chemicals, glass, construction materials, paper, beer, processed food, and textiles. Monterrey was founded as a Spanish colonial outpost in 1579 in honor of the count of Monterrey, the Spanish viceroy of Mexico. The city played a minor role in the struggle for Mexican independence from Spain in the early 19th century, and it later was occupied (1846) by the U.S. general Zachary Taylor in the Mexican War.

I was very close to missing my flight when I left. Tip to remember when traveling to a foriegn country: Take a Passport!
I was half way to the airport when my friend who was driving me there asked, "So do you have your Passport?" And to my surprise I didn't. We had to turn around and drive back to Modesto and get it and it was 5 AM Thursday morning going to SFO!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great photos, Yvette! Thanks for sharing.